Re: F5--and everything went black...

At 11:19 AM 6/28/2007, Robert Holmgren wrote:
I know why you use Tame (I've been using it since 1991, and was talking about it long before it became the tool du jour here -- see http://xywrite.org/msg01714.htm). I'm merely pointing out that putting Tame in AUTOEXEC.NT loads it as a TSR before every DOS program. I use dozens of DOS programs. Most do not require Tame. Therefore, the suggestion to use Tame surgically: create a distinct AUTOEXEC clone that does use Tame, attach that to your XyWrite shortcut, and leave the original AUTOEXEC.NT alone. (Note that David Thomas's Tame installation automatically edits the main AUTOEXEC.BAT and adds TAME-NT.COM to it, because he assumes users want to use Tame with every DOS app. I comment that line out in my main AUTOEXEC.NT, and copy it to my Tame AUTOEXEC clone.)
Me too...now. I took your lead, and once I discovered that the new program call created that second .tam settings file, and that I could easily copy my settings to it, everything worked fine. And your point about TAME loading TSR for all DOS sessions is well taken. It made me rethink what I'd thought was a TAME/Notabene conflict -- that TAME stayed loaded after you quit XY, or that the it was being invoked by the NTVDM module in NB. For the record, not true, at least here. Running Process Explorer I can find no instance of TAME after quitting XY and running NB. My NB problems, few now, were just Notabene problems. Anyway, thanks very much for the shortcut tweak and provoking the thinking on all this. PS: Noting the title of this thread, I wonder if Jon is still struggling with his F5 key. Michael Norman