Re: XyWin

Carl, I'm afraid that changing the font the way I did is not going to appeal
you. So, far all I've been able to do is make it a different size. Since I
use a 17" monitor with LARGE FONTS installed, the default font is 8514OEM.fon.
To get more text on the screen, I change the OEMFONTS.FON=8514OEM.FON line in
SYSTEM.ini to read OEMFONTS.FON=VGAOEM.FON, which is a smaller font. No other
change is necessary. However, it is still an ugly font and I don't know if any
other fixed font will work. Certainly a scalable font (such as True Type
Courier) will not work, since a raster font is required, not an outline font.
Maybe changing yours to larger font will help you. The available ones I know
of so far are called EGAOEM.fon, VGAOEM.fon, and 8514OEM.fon in increasing
order of size. The font you use must be in the windows SYSTEM directory. If
the one you want to try isn't there, look (I Think) on windows disk #2 for
files of these names but ending in *.fo_ and run the Microsoft expand program
on them with Windows\System\*.fon as the destination. Besides being a fixed
pitch raster font, the font must support the original PC (OEM) character set to
be completely equivalent. I don't Know the consequences if some other
character set is use, but since the font is also used by windows for other
things, something could get broken. I'll post a message if I find any other
font that works, but it may be several weeks, since I have some code deadlines
comming up. I will try to stay in touch on the board even if I don't have
time to experiment.

As for OS2, I am tempted to try again with version 2.1. I did try 2.0, but it
just didn't work for me due to not having several drivers I needed. The most
serious shortcomming was not having Stacker support, since I never have enough
disk room even with it. I here there is a driver now and I may get it so I
can try OS2 again. Otherwise I have plenty of resources as long as I have
Stacker to up my disk capacity.

    ******** GOOD LUCK! , MIKE