Re: Problems with XyDOS Word for Windows 6.0 conversion

** Reply to note from fenda@xxxxxxxx Sat, 10 Apr 1999 01:10:32 +0200

Some preliminary tests indicate strongly to me that LACK OF MEMORY may be a cause
of malfunctions in these filters. I think, to be absolutely certain, you should
experiment initially with the DOS-only procedure described in my ZIP file, posted
as an attachment to a msg earlier today. In other words, do NOT try to convert
from within XyWrite -- there may not be enough memory available.

Additionally, by deliberately forcing the filters to crash midstream, I realized
that they create a very large number of temporary files -- perhaps as many as 50 or
60. So be _sure_ to raise your FILES= spec from the usual 20 or 30 to 99 or so.
If you don't know how to do this, ask.

That said, hey -- they work, very well indeed. People are sending me rather
complicated files, with codes I've frankly never seen before (who ever saw PB82?
not me); and they're converting into MSWord v8, quite handsomely.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx