Re: XyWrite & Windows 2000: Beta solution to keyboard "jerkiness" you can try now

** Reply to message from  on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:36:03
-0400

If you want to try an intermediate solution (which will be further refined
soon), go to:

http://www.tamedos.com/downloads

and grab the file listed as "Beta Test - Tame Pre-Release 4.4", which is
TAME44T.EXE. Run the EXE and install in its own dedicated directory. Note
that Tame will be installed as a 30-day evaluation version, and it has a nag
screen when you terminate (c'est la vie). But this version goes a long way
toward solving the problem.

NOTE WELL:
You MUST kill Windows idle detection. It can release time slices behind Tame's
back. Here's how: Presumably XyWrite has its own shortcut icon on the
Desktop. Right-click the icon, go into Properties==>Misc==>Idle sensitivity,
and push the slider all the way to the left ("Low"), i.e. disable it.

Please report to me any feedback you feel appropriate (publicly, on the
maillist, would be most useful, so that we can all compare experiences) --
that's why this pre-release is being made available now (this tweak is
*specifically* for us).

FYI, the biggest underlying cause of this anomaly seems to be a poor screen
refresh implementation.

Note that CPU usage will be way down from what it was before. That's the main
purpose of Tame.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx