Re: upgrade?

On 7 Feb. Nathan Sivin wrote (in part)

"2. ... XW has an exceptionally ugly screen font for draft mode. ... On the
other
hand, XW is much better for editing in WYSIWYG mode than XY. ..."

I would add two points: (a) that XY in draft mode shows "modes" (i.e. bold,
superscript etc.) in color, which I can't make XW do, and which I find
nothing short of indispensable; (b) that when I work with large files (e.g.
the entire text of a monograph I'm copyediting, which I want in a single
file for searching purposes) I get numerous lockups, crashes and error
messages in XW but very few in XY (virtually none since I installed the
memory manager 386MAX).

Like many users, I invariably compose and edit in XY; then I switch to XW,
first to refine the WYSIWYG appearance, and then to print using one or
another Windows printer driver.

Just about the only time XY does lock up on me is if I forget that I've
specified some exotic font for use in XW and then, while I'm revising the
text in XY, hit Shift+F8 for WYSIWYG display. And even then it locks up on
me about once for every thirty or forty lockups or crashes in the
abominable MS Word.

The only possible answer for me is to have both XY and XW. I've never even
thought about going back to XyW3.

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel