Re: PostGhost Fonts (and the Euro)

Something similar to the A4 printing bug afflicts
Xy III+. The strategy I use for getting round it
is, IIRC, resetting page length for the 2nd &
subsequent pages.
(I've never - to speak of - printed to letter size paper so can't comment on that).
John

Correo Fenda wrote:
Robert Holmgren wrote:
Let me remind you of the A4 XyWrite bug.

Memory fails me. Could you repeat the details? A bug in XyWrite or GS?
It's an old XyWrite4 bug, never fixed. Maybe from the first version of
XyWrite4 (or one of the first revisions) I needed to put a PB82 (a
command to instruct XyWrite to process the 82 printer code, thus
restoring the A4 size) at the beginning of every file if I didn't want
to suffer a vertical displacement of the text on the page (an extra
blank space at the top of every page). It's common practice for me and
it doesn't bother me. I submitted this problem to TTG many years ago
without obtaining any solution. But, using PostGhost 850 or 1252, the
problem gets worse. First page is OK (note that it's not the case if I
am not using PostGhost). The problem starts now from the second page on.
When I attempt to fix it using my classical trick, the PB82 is not
effective beyond the first page of the output file I am previewing in
GhostView. The only solution is:
1. A PB82 code at the beginning of every file.
2. It's necessary to reload SETTINGS.DFL inside XyWrite with a last line like this: DF JB=82 (this DF entry is not necessary to solve the problem in my usual ansified or standard XyWrite configuration). Obviously, the SETTINGS.DFL/ANSETNGS.DFL is already read when XyWrite starts but I can't say how the DF JB=82 is overwritten once the program starts. Last February we were attempting to solve this issue without any success. Obviously, no problem at all if I use Letter page size. Are yo able to reproduce this behavior? By the way: what versions of GhostScript/GhostView are you currently using? Maybe it's time to update my versions.
Best regards,
Manuel Castelao