RE: Page 0 of x

>PS: But I can't (of course) figure out how to make MSW do something
>enormously helpful, viz. print "p. 0 of X" (which in Xy is childishly
>simple).

This is achieved by using field codes. Under the Insert menu, click
Field. This gets you the dialog box for inserting Field Codes--they sit
in your document and return values (See Help for more info on Field
Codes). The fields you need are named "Page" and "NumPages"; you should
be able to find them in the list. If you want to see the field and not
the result, you can go under Tools, Options, View, and check the Box for
Field Codes. It would then display as "Page {PAGE} of {numpages}."

(This description is for Word 6.0; Word 97 may be slightly different, but
similar.)

--TLO