"Where I just was"

I would like a simple program that will, upon command, take me to the
position in a file where I just was. Sometimes I edit very long files and
the cursor is somewhere in the middle of the text when I hit the wrong key
and send it flying to somewhere else, typically the end.

What is needed, I guess, is a resident facility that offers a moving
bookmark, ephemeral in nature and invisibly changing with each new cursor
move. Most of the time the bookmark will lurk in the background. Only when
needed will it have work to do. I think of the unborn program as
"wherewas".

Damn! Now where *was* I ...