Documentation

A couple of days ago, Robert challenged me to improve on the
documentation for just one U2 routine, and I have have had a whack at
seeing how I would document ZIPVIEW. Well, it was a salutarily
chastening experience, taking HOURS. Now I know. But first of all, THANKs
for all the lovely goodies in the latest U2. I was able to use CLIP to
copy this from Xy, and ZIPVIEW itself let me figure out what a whole lot
of mystery ZIP files on my download drive were. Also apologies for
several misapprehensions of mine about XYWWWEb.inf, which kept me from
getting as much out of it as I should.

By the bye, this routine seems MIRACULOUS. How did you ever get it to do
all this within the DOS memory limitation? Of course, I suspect UNZIP.EXE
makes use of DOS Protected Mode, but still...

I separated the help inf. into two parts: The first (ZVREAD.txt) explains
about the need to have UNZIP on your system and to have XYWWWeb.reg point
to it correctly, since that should only need to be dealt with once. The
second (ZIPVIEW.TXT) explains the use and syntax.
ZVREAD.TXT:
Preliminaries: To use ZIPVIEW, you must have a DOS-based unzipping
utility installed somewhere on your PC, and the file XYWWWEB.REG in the
XyWrite directory must correctly specify where on your system that
utiltiy is located. CAll XYWWWEB.REG and SE /UNZIP/. If there is an entry
after the equal sign, confirm that it accurately points to the location
of UNZIP.EXE. If you don't have it, download [Un]Zip for DOS from
ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/MSDOS/¯ÿ?£2.vuÿ?¯ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub
/infozip/MSDOS/ (unz550x.exe and zip23x.zip), and install UNZIP by
running unz550x.exe, then edit XYWWWEB.REG to correctly point to it.

ZIPVIEW.TXT
ZIPVIEW enables you to see what files are included within a ZIPped file
and to read any text files among them. Don't try to open files that are
larger than XYWrite's memory limitations (2.4Mb with only one window
open, less if more), nor .EXE or .COM files, of course, unless the .EXE
is really a self-extracting ZIP. Works with long file names. Opens and
reads nested ZIPs.

Use and Syntax:
1. To specify the ZIP to view by pointing, type ZIPVIEW on the
CommandLine, followed by Helpkey
1.1) With the Directory of the ZIP file open and the cursor on the ZIP
file; or
1.2) With the filename (and path if needed) DEfined in an open XyWrite
file (e.g., one created by piping a DOS DIR command).

2. To type in the name of the ZIP file to view, type ZIPVIEW followed by
one of the following, followed by Helpkey
2.1) To view a ZIP in current directory: filename.ext or
"longfilename.ext"; or
2.2) To view a ZIP in logged directory of drive d: d:filename.ext or
"d:longfilename.ext"; or
2.3) To view a ZIP file anywhere on a drive: d:\dirname\filename.ext or
"d:\long directory name\long file name.ext": i.e., fully qualified file
name of desired file.

For all but 1.1 & 1.2, work in an empty window. Wildcards can be used;
e.g., ZIPVIEW "d:longdirectoryname\BBluedisk*.zip".

Any of these will give you a listing of the files in the ZIP. To view any
of those files (including getting lists of files in nested ZIPs), put the
cursor on it. and hit Enter. If after looking at one file you want to
look at another, change windows back to the original Untitled window, put
the cursor on the other file, and hit Enter. (The function List
Windows--Ctrl-F6 in original keyboard--may not work if memory is tight.)

If you hit ESC while viewing the contents of the ZIP. the active listing
becomes a passive directory (that you could, for example, copy and paste
to a file). To reactiviate it for further investigation, type ZIPVIEW/NV
Helpkey. The Prompt that tells you to "Pick file to view, then
['Esc' aborts]" returns and you can continue viewing files or ZIPS.

Patricia