RE: P.S. to simple calendar question

For myself I have utilized an implementation of a XyWrite file that
constitutes a calendar in sortable format where each day is identified on a
new line of the form

2007 07 27[tab];[tab][tab][tab]Friday[tab]July 27, 2007

and entries for the day in the form

2007 07 27[tab]n[tab]1430[tab]Appointment with X

The identifier replacing the placeholder semicolon in the date-identifier
line is:
d for deadline
n for out-of-office appointment
o for in-office appointment
r for reminder
etc.

"1430" represents a time in military format

At the top of the file, with lines starting with leading zeros and other
numbers, are headers describing the calendar and marking the tabs for the
identifiers and time of day.

When a day is ended I delete the date-identifier line. When an appointment
is finished I put a "z" at the beginning of the line and run a save-get that
checks to make sure the file (named "calendar") is open, then if so stores
it, runs from the command line a batch file that does a DOS sort of
"calendar" (this opens a dialogue asking whether I want to save all other
open files, which I usually do) into "calendar.tmp", copies "calendar.tmp"
to "calendar", erases "calendar.tmp", then calls calendar again and searches
for the first semicolon to bring you to the current day. (The
"calendar.tmp" step is a failsafe in case the batch aborts.)

At the end of the year I save every line starting with "z" to an archive
file for the year and copy in a file that has just date-identifier lines
reformatted for the new year (once you make one, you column-define the
day-of-the-week column and move it to adjust for the new January 1; a
different year-file is needed for leap years).

When I had a small networked department, I gave myself read-write privileges
for the file on a network drive and gave others only read privileges, so
they wouldn't mess up the calendar.

I got the idea from Tyson or one of the other early XyWrite books. It has
worked since 3+ without problems (except for a packet issue with a Novell
network I once had).

If anyone wants samples email me off-list.

Regards,

Paul Ambos
pambos@xxxxxxxx