Re: Wildcard ci problem

Pierre d'Or jcvanhaeften@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Running dos-xy3.53 on a win98/se ther is no problem is using the specified ci ci |http://WWWWW[CR]|≪lbhttp://WWWWW[CR]≫| sorry couldn't be more helpfull Carel
Something strange is going on here. I know we've discussed wildcard CI before, so went looking in the archive. The first thing I found was this, from Robert sometime in May 96: Surely you're aware that wildcard CHanges were not natively available in v3.5x. So not "everyone" could do them; in fact, no one could do them. WILDCIA overcame that limitation Carl, Robert, and a few others made some very helpful suggestions to me back in late Jan. (19-21) of 2003. Unfortunately, the posts of 1/20/03 on my drive got truncated somehow (must have been an ASCII26 lurking in the digest there), so I don't have the full dossier. Suggest XySearch on Wildcard in that time frame to get the full story. But I think Wolfgang is on the right track: in the part of the discussion I do have, Harry said that ci /W,/W;/ produced an error message, and Robert pointed out that you cannot search for "any string of any length" without *real* anchors on either side≪; one would need ci /,/;/ or CI /X,/X;/, since wild X is just one character. Patricia M. Godfrey priscamg@xxxxxxxx