Discretionary hyphen

I must read up on this three-byte--five-byte thing, which I've never
quite grasped. But--I figured that the old values were there, invisible,
in SETTINGS.DFL and mucking things up. So I called it, deleted the whole
line where DH= was set, and typed in DH= and then CTRL-ALT 128 (figured
I'd never need to use the small house char for anything). Stored
Settings.dfl, quit Xy, then reopened. Issued command VA/NV DH--and got a
tilde displayed. At that point I read the manual, found the menu routine,
and used it. This time, on reloading, VA/NV dh did indeed show the small
house. (I had first fixed the keyboard file, so that was OK.) That's why
I said entering the values from the keyboard into SETTINGS.DFL didn't
seem to take. I see your point about entering once it's set, but it was
getting the original setting there that was crazy.
Patricia