Re: Testers wanted for new Copy/Paste/Replace routine

** Reply to message from "E J Inggs"  on Thu, 30 Oct 2003
09:21:46 +0200

> The upper limit for AutoItX3.dll seems to be just over 500K - a block
> of 504000 bytes works but one of 517000 crashes. However, my major need
> is for small blocks so this is not a major issue.

Interesting. Strange to say, I haven't performed any tests whatsoever of size
limits (yet) -- my major need is usually for just a few lines, e.g. a web
address; but I did ask the author of the DLL about this issue:

>> It's great to have the 16384 byte size limit removed in AutoIt v3.
>> Is there a new max Copy/Paste size?

> Hmm, variables aren't limited (except by memory limitations)...
> let me check the clipboard code... Well I'm not putting any
> limitations on it so you should be OK up to 2 GB (or until
> the OS squeals)

Says he. The fact that we're performing this operation in the same VDM (same
memory space) as Editor may be the cause of a crash at 500Kb. I'll do some
tests of my own tomorrow... (I've never tried to clip more than 150Kb).

Also:

At Carl's suggestion, I've enhanced the frame to permit Prepending and
Appending to the existing Clipboard content. I.e., you can add to the
Clipboard either "A"bove or "B"elow the current Clipboard text without erasing
it (those in fact are the commands: CLIPWA and CLIPWB).  A sweet idea, and
it works well. A little more testing and then I'll post it here.

One other fact to keep in mind: The Windows Clipboard stops accepting text if
it encounters an Ascii-0. Windows seems to consider that to be a kind of
End_Of_Data character, analogous to EOF (End_Of_File). A few XyWrite 3-byters
do contain Ascii-0, although ordinarily you never encounter it. Character
[385], for example. So you might want to check your results if you clip XPL,
for example. There's a remote possiblity that it contains an Ascii-0. Very
very remote.

Glad you like it... And I appreciate the encouragement.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx