Re: XY4 on Android--yes

Depending on which external keyboard you get--there are countless options on Amazon for various
hardware tablets--some do have function keys. I got one for a 7" tablet that has an ESC key,
progress--the same company, IVSO, that made the one for the 10-inch Samsung, but hte 10-inch version
has an Android Home key rather than ESC. (These keyboards come with leatherette tablet cases and are
amazingly light, but the keyboards are real, with keys that travel and click satisfyingly, under
$40.)

Twiddling the .kbd file can get around the lack of F keys.

I also had a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard, bigger and bulkier, that supposedly had function keys. XY
via DOSBox didn't recognize them. Many of these portable keyboards want you to hold down a Fn key to
get Function keys, so it's just as easy to use two fingers to type Alt-1 as it is to get Fn-F1.

Pasting from XY outward...not directly. But with a .txt filetype, other word processors like
Kingsoft can read and paste from XY files. More difficult is envisioning the CLIP equivalent--copy
that web address into XY. I don't see that yet.

Regarding your other Q, no rooting necessary (though I'll root eventually just because). You can
easily copy the XY directory onto the Android's internal memory, via a direct connection to a
computer, a USB flash drive plugged into an Android adapter (Samsung has a USB-to-Samsung
proprietary connector gizmo) or with a  BlueTooth connection to another Android with a file
manager app like MyFiles (the Share button).

I now have XY working on a second tablet, a 7-inch Samsung. Did it by copying the XY directory from
the XP computer, adding XY4ANDR.kbd from the other Samsung and tweaking startup.int. Microlytics is
the only immediate bug, not tabbing trhough the choices. I tried playing with NumLock (which is
actually already in my startup.int) but it didn't help.

For one brief shining moment yesterday I was tabbing through the thesaurus, but I can't figure out
how I got there.

There are paid versions of DOSBox (an exorbitant $3 or so) that run faster, but those are for
gamers.

Will report on further progress but it's cute to see the Android tablet looking like DOS circa
1994.

Jon Pareles

------------------
Interesting, Jon. Keep us posted on further tweaks and annoyances.

What a disappointment that the external keyboard lacks function
keys! Is there not even a shifting key, þ la the Fn key on many
laptops, that replicates these keys? And no Ctrl keys? That's even
worse. But here's the big question: Is there a way to paste text
from XyWrite into other apps?

> I copied the XY directory (with editor.exe, xywwweb, thesaurus,
> etc.) from my XP computer to the internal memory of the
> Samsung.

How do you do that? Do you have to "root" the tablet? Or do you just
plug it into the desktop computer and have it show up as the next
available drive letter?

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxxxx