(fwd) Re: OS2 Magazine and new Smartsuite

From: juergen@xxxxxxxx (Riedl.Juergen T 7261 R 92-506 WS
tx43 )
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.apps
Subject: Re: OS2 Magazine and new Smartsuite
Date: 29 Mar 1995 15:29:46 GMT

<3l8s57$8ao@xxxxxxxx>

In article <3l8s57$8ao@xxxxxxxx> mau@xxxxxxxx (Michael Au)
writes:

  :> In ,
  :> juergen@xxxxxxxx (Riedl.Juergen T 7261 R 92-506 WS
tx43 )
  :> writes:
  >> Star Division Produkts *are* as good as people are saying.  A
  >> dedicated user Juergen

  :> Juergen, Care to share some more information with this
  :> newsgroup regarding their fine products we all have been told
  :> about? I, for one, would really like to know about their
  :> products yet all I could find out is just their name.

  :> Thank you for your attention, Mike

Mike, that was the reason why I insisted at that company to do a
better promotion outside of the german speaking countries. Try the EMail for
StarWriter 2.0 for OS/2. For WINDOZE apps they are a strong
competitor of M$ in Germany, so there is no other product available than
StarWriter for OS/2 in the moment. But they have a contract with
IBM since CBit in Hannover this month to assemble a suite like that of
Lotus. It will be called StarOffice 3.0 in the moment. I hope to
receive the beta in a few weeks, then I can say more about that.

Some INfor about StarWriter: It is simmilar to WinWord and
supports a formular generator (is important to me), it has a
frame concept similar to that of Describe and the usual functions
as macros, spellchecker, thesaurus, adress database (import from
dBase if I remember right), an "AutoPilot' that let you easyly
create letters out of templates within StarWriter and a so called
'Helferlein' (little helper) as the cartoon 'Daniel Duesentrieb'
(Daniael propulsion)(don't know haw they are called in the U$).
It supports the template concept of OS/2 so you can assign a name
like 'Very important bla bla' without the usual extenions as
*.doc *.rtf and so on, It supports drag'drop out off the Desktop
for graphic files and you can scale them as you like. Its great,
but: its no panacea! But I think the StarOffice package will be a
big step in that direction.

Additinally StarDivision has made a very good portable User Interface
Lib using C++. This lib suports SUN WS (Michael von
Bertholdsheimer, one of the founder of SUN has contracted them)
OS/2, Macinthosh and last and least Windoze. This lib is expensive, for OS/2 at about
1000$. But with that lib they have ported StarWriter between the
different plattforms.

coming to the end, try the EMail start at 1. April
StarWriter_Info@xxxxxxxx
 or until that svinfo@xxxxxxxx. WWW and ftp access for demos
they promised May 1995.
If they dosn't respond, email me, then I will bother the boss of
them ;-).
Hope this enough for the first moment.

Juergen
  --
 __^__
 __^__
 | / | Juergen Riedl  SIEMENS  Tel: +49-(0)89-4144-7261
 | \ |
 | / |         -------  Fax: +49-(0)89-4144-7710
 | \ |
 |_/_| SNI GP TMN TN1  NIXDORF  EMail: j.riedl@xxxxxxxx
 |_\_|
-(_____)
  ^   This message is printed with 100% recycable photons
  ^

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx harmon@xxxxxxxx

Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the
answer is NO.