Editable PDFs

Daniel Say's post about PDF Converter for Microsoft Word is rather
alarming to me. My professional association puts our small booklets about
topics of interest to freelance editors, and we are planning to switch to
storing and distributing them as PDFs, instead of sinking $ in paper
inventory. We're already concerned about the possibility of someone's
reprinting and reselling them without our knowledge or permission, but if
people can convert and change them...? I know Acrobat has a
password-protecton scheme. Would this defeat that? It seems odd that the
control freaks in Redmond would be party to this.
Patricia