Assistance w/ MSWord?

Though I hate to bring this group a query purely addressed to another and
immeasurably inferior program, I don't know where else to turn.

For some months now, each time I open a file in MSW it automatically
enlarges itself. I just tried the following:
 click on "New"
 click on a "Template" file
 close the file immediately without saving
Result in File Manager:
 former template file 1FAX-UK.DOT now renamed 1FAX-UK.BAK - size 7168
 new template file 1FAX-UK.DOT now added -         size 11776

I don't know what made this new routine begin to happen; more important, I
don't know exactly when it started, so I can't trace the change to some
system file of a certain date.
Can anyone suggest what Gatesian batch file or system file I should
investigate?

Apologetically,
Eric Van Tassel