Re: Version confusion.

To weigh in--pointlessly no doubt, but with one new aspect (see bottom):

Nathan wrote:
 If you dislike super-quasi-WYSIWYG and never
make mistakes, there may well no reason to prefer v. 4.
3 and 4 are, indeed, very similar. I resisted going to 4 for a while, but
once I moved, I was quite happy. I only occasionally use the WYSIWYG, but
it's nice that it's there. More important to me are:
  wild-card replace
  better memory handling (moving large blocks is easy
the ability to use comments in writing XPL -- this is the *;* string, which allows XPL to have comments and--glory be!--carriage returns.
By the way, you can use v. 4 from a single 1.44MB floppy in DOS
mode or a DOS window. Here is the directory of mine:

EDITOR  EXE    681,664 05-08-95 10:21a EDITOR.EXE

Here's the new observation. One of the great things about both versions of Xy is that you can get off the ground with only editor.exe. You can run editor.exe and then use that "kernel" to write on the fly the .kbd file and the settings.dfl file. What a program! (I'm not recommending such a course, only praising Xy's designer's thoughtfulness.)