USB pinters, again

My smart new USB printer (HP1000) is not proving quite as reliable as anticipated. It will not
print either running footers or footnotes from XY4. XY3 has difficulty even communicating with it,
and though it will print the first page of a document, it then hangs up with the printer light
flashing to indicate it is receiving data, but nothing else happening.

XY3, I can live without, but I need to be able to print footers and footnotes from XY4. Does
anybody have any idea what might be causing this problem?

Thanks

Paul Breeze