Re: Logon

Dick is right (as was Leslie). If LOG.LOG is present in
the directory that has EDITOR.EXE, a LOGON command is
unnecessary. EDITOR logs on automatically, with a
default username of SYS. This can be verified with VA/NV
$LG, which returns the current logged-on username. I
just tested this in Xy4.

On the other hand, if I delete LOG.LOG and restart, I
still get no prompt to log in, and the logged-in username
is still SYS. So maybe LOG.LOG isn't needed after all?
(Rene, is LOG.LOG present in your main XyWrite
directory?)

One advantage of logging on as a uniquely identified user
is that you can write and run XPL programs that
do different things depending on who runs the program
(i.e., depending on the current value of ).
There's an example of this embedded in the HTML source of
the XyWWWWeb page. It's a program (coded as plain-text
XPL pseudo code suitable for execution via a U2 routine
called XMACRO) that updates the last-revised date and
time stamp for the page. If Robert runs it, it inserts
his initials; if I run it, it inserts mine.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx