Re: XyW 4.01 with Warp

On Wed, 21 Dec 1994 12:57:11 -0500 (EST), Marvin Katz
 wrote:
> I'm unable to switch in and out of Xywrite under Warp. I can do a
>  to get from XyW to the desktop, but when I do a
> to go back, my hard drive grinds for a few seconds and everything stops.

 Marv, I'm not exactly sure what you are doing --- if you want
to go back to the desktop from a full-screen app, you can hit
Alt-Esc, which takes you back to the desktop (or to the next app)
or you can do Crtl-ESC, which calls up the window list (and
brings you to the desktop at the same time if you are in a
full-screen session). To go back, either double click on the name
of the app in the window list or just double click on the XY icon
again. Or do Alt-ESC until it switches windows enough to get to
the one you want.
  However, the way you want to set up your DOS apps is to have
them set as DOS Windows, not full-screen. The reason is this --
you have XY up on the desktop as a window, ok? For just some
less-intesive writing, that is good enough, and you can still see
the rest of the desktop and click on anything you want to open,
etc. Then when you are really doing some heavy stuff, you just
(while the XY window is active) hit Alt-Home, and bingo, the XY
window becomes full-screen. Hit Alt-Home again, and it's back to
the desktop and a window. DON'T TRY TO DO GRAPHICS VIEW in a
window. It will suspend your session, and sometimes crash it, but
usually not. Then you have to click on the upper-left corner, go
down the menu to "full- screen", etc. to get out of it. But
anyway, set it to "DOS Window" in the second page of the
settings, you'll be much happier. Also, I have my screen
resolution set to 1024x768, so I can get more windows open at
once, and it looks much better. Then I set the windows to come up
at the 18x10 size (in the Font_Size thing on the window menu I
just talked about) and
I get a nice size for working in XY, etc. Some of the other
windows I make much smaller. Also I have a shadow of my XY icon
in my startup folder, and have it set to minimized, so that XY is
always up, automatically, as is FM/2, my file manager, and Zfax,
my voice-mail and term. Also a very small OS/2 commandline
window.

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx seaverh@xxxxxxxx
harmon@xxxxxxxx

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
><><><>
<> "The Way of the Samurai is death." - Jocho Yamamoto 1710
Hagakure <>
<> "Let no man's life stand in the way -- especially your own."
  <>
<>                    Miyamoto Musashi
1584-1645  <>
<> "The fundamental delusion of humanity is to suppose that I am
here <>
<> and you are out there."              Yasutani
Roshi  <>