Re: I could hardly fail to disagree with you less

Patricia,
It has to do with contemporary bicycle racing (with a clear relation to platoon). Pelotons are a bunched group of riders taking advantage of the physics of wind resistance to advantage a team member; to "break away" is to choose a tactically advantageous moment to sprint ahead of the group. I simplify.