Re: Luddite defined

Olson, Timothy wrote:

> >Leslie:
> >
> >What do you mean by the "Luddite" version?
>
> My good friend Merriam-Webster has this to say:
> ============================
> Ludd·ite \ål«-ædÉt\ noun
> [perhaps from Ned Ludd, 18th century Leicestershire workman who destroyed
> machinery]
> (1811)
> : one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying
> laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly : one who is opposed to
> especially technological change
> _ Luddite adjective
> ===============
> So presumably the "Luddite" version of Xy would be Xy3.

Quite so. I realize that nobody on the list wants to destroy anything,
but I am perplexed by those who create workarounds (often ingenious)
that will allow 3+ to do things that were _built in_ to 4. If 3+ does
everything you want it to do, well and good. But if you're looking for
things such as (but not limited to) wildcard search and replace, why not
just bite the bullet and upgrade instead of spending hours in "one room
in LA with a matress on the floor" (Don Imus on Matt Drudge) whacking
away at XPL to reinvent an inferior version of the wheel?

Ah. I've said this often enough. My last post on this topic.

--

Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press