Re: SWEEP WORKS! searching subdirectories

** Reply to message from Robert Holmgren  on Wed, 31 Jul
2002 09:47:07 -0400

Judith, a brief followup to our discussion of the BreaK key:

> Laptops have strange keyboard handlers, in my experience. First thing you need
> to do is set up a benign test environment. Open a file. Command:
> "defto$". The program will wait for you to input a keystroke. Test
> various key combinations to try to BreaK out of it (success=PRompt "Stop
> program? (Y/N)"). You may need Function-Alt-Break, or Function-Ctrl-Break. On
> my present laptop (a Thinkpad T23) it's just Alt-Break (no Fn key; Win2K
> pre-SP3).

I should have added one more piece of information -- and some subsequent
experimentation and off-list discussion indicates that it is important:

Func BK, BreaK, usually assigned to many permutations of the Pause/Break key
(key #90 in the KBD TABLEs), does seem flaky running under modern OSes.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The problem is that modern OSes assign
a high priority to key 90, so they take control of that key away from XyWrite
and other applications (cf. Ctrl-Escape). The cure for this behavior is --
guess what! -- func NI (No_Interrupt), used thus:
 Change
90=BK
90=NI,BK
 or just (save a byte of KBD memory)
90=NIBK

That will confine your keystroke to XyWrite, and activate a *XyWrite* BreaK in
almost all situations. Tested under OS/2 MCP2 (=v4.52) and Win2K SP3. Anyone
who's ever had trouble with BreaKing out of anything should change every
instance of 90=BK to 90=NIBK.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx