DETECTING FORMS-MODE IN AN OPEN FILE (was it opend by a caf ?)

I AM SEARCHING FOR AN ELEGANT WAY TO DETECT IF OPEN FILE IS IN
FORMS-MODE

attatched is the xy-version of this mail for reason that will
dispay the programming commands

PLEASE READ THIS IN EXPANDED-MODE (CTRL-F9)

1. used is XyWrite III Plus Version 3.53

2. at the moment i am (re)writing/updating some programs who
handle files wich (may be) contain forms

3. sometimes these files are open (on screen) and my program
doesn't know if they are in forms-mode or normal-mode

4. even files open in forms-mode can be no real forms (doesn't
contain a ®MDRV¯ wich is a nesessety for forms

i tried a ÿ?](Ctrl-F9) followed by an ®if®err¯¯, but that doesn't
work

5. i can test for searching dubble bracket open, se |®|< after an
ÿ?], that works for a part, but not for the files discribed under
4.

6. so my solution to every file, whatever mode and whatever
containing is:
  1. store the file
  2. call the file (=normal-mode)
  this is working well

7. but hate to do that because of a lot storing and calling is
not nesserary because a lot of files are not in forms-mode , so
that's a lot of waist IO, and time

8. this is not a problem with a few files but there number is
growing an grouwing (genealogical data, family-sheets, around
1500 files now)

=. (?why not using a genealogical-program: they didn't exsist the
time ('80) i started writing these programs (conversion is a
problem, so i stick to my own xy-programs)

=.greetings from a rainy France

Carel van Haeften
jcvanhaeften@xxxxxxxx