Re: Emulators etc

I'm actually wondering if there would be any advantages to using an
emulator to run XY under windows, particularly as I run in portrait mode
all the time now which means it is impossible to use XY full screen, and
the key-lag when using a window makes that unusable for me (still
running Windows 2000). Tame, if it worked, would solve the problem
since it gives me a quasi-full screen version of XY in portrait but, in
my experience at least, it does not allow the use of key combinations
for scrolling (ie I use Ctrl-Rt Arrow to scroll one word at at time, but
this is impossibly slow in Tame). Since I find these vital for my work,
that rules out Tame for the time being.
It seems, from what everybody has said that I would have no problem
accessing my existing Windows file structure if I opted for an emulator.
 That just leaves the performance in portrait mode to consider.
For the moment I use NB for all my writing but I still miss XY and would
like to find a way of running it again, if possible.

Best wishes

Paul

Flash wrote:
Paul,
≪ First, do emulators allow access to the underlying file system of the operating system on which they are running? Ie If I run XY in an emulator can I load text files from the underlying file system and then save them back to that system?≫
Yes and no. Apps running in emulators do have access to the underlying
file system; the problem is that, on a Mac for example, there is nothing
corresponding to c:\ -- directories and partitions follow entirely
different naming conventions than in the DOS world. Any good emulator
will deliver with a 'patch' to get round this. On a Mac, what you have
to do is "mount a drive" so the emulator can refer to it by a name it
understands; once, it has a name the emulator can deal with, then apps
running in the emulator can 'see' the file system, with the usual
read/write operations.