Re: 98 again

Peregrine@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> ... most people
> consider it good advice NOT to upgrade from Win95 to Win98 using the upgrade
> provided by Microsoft. Instead, do a "clean install" of Win98.

Yes, that is indeed the common wisdom, and I'm sure the people
recommending it have sound reasons for it, but in my personal experience,
upgrading several systems from Win95 to 98 worked like a charm. I could
retain all settings and a considerable number of installed programs, and
the upgraded systems continued to run for several years thereafter with
remarkably little problems. On the other hand, I had nothing but
problems with a _clean_ install of Windows 2000 that I did for testing
purposes, but that is another story (and mostly related to "legacy" DOS
utilities from ca. 1985).

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx