Using styles

I have encountered what seem to be random problems in using styles, although
I suspect I'm doing something systematically wrong. Having defined a style,
I then invoke its use by typing "US style" on the command line. Sometimes it
works fine. At other times, however, XyWrite seems to ignore the new style.
When I look at the file in expanded mode, the problem - but not its ultimate
source - becomes clear: XyWrite inserts a ≪MDNM≫ on its own, in addition
to the ≪US style≫ that I have typed, before the new text that I type to
start the content of the section that's supposed to use the new style. If I
type the file in expanded mode (which I do not want to do on a regular
basis), the problem does not occur; i.e., XyWrite does not insert an extra
≪MDNM≫ after the ≪US style≫ command. This problem seems to occur in both
XyDOS (4.017) and XyWin (4.12).

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Alan J. Daskin (Jeff)