Re: AW: Re: Networks are for corporations and offices, right?

** Reply to message from flash@xxxxxxxx on Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:37:22 +0200

> IETF does not disposses anyone of a URL by fiat.

Courts in the U.S. have, though. I had a friend who had an active com website
that was _opposed_ to the activities of some company (I think it was
proctorandgamble.com? can't recall). Anyway, he got dispossessed -- and the
suspicion lingered thereafter that it was because of his viewpoint mainly --
his site had been up for a year or two, and changed often. This was one of the
earliest test cases, closely watched. And there was another case, that also
went to court, where the guy's surname was the same as the company -- and he
lost. My point was, that this all started happening after Biz began to mooch
in and make demands -- never before.

I remember participating (via acoustic modem) in newsgroups where half the
participants had .mil addresses -- a designation you hardly ever see today
(they seem to have withdrawn into their own private network).

I realize that I would be unlikely to lose my org domain, but still -- if the
American Cancer Society was called Holmgren instead of the American Cancer
Society (or if my name was American C. Society), I wonder...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx