Re: Sporadic problems with *.KBD defs under OS/2

At 02:43 AM 12/14/98 EST, Robert Holmgren wrote:
>** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Mon, 14 Dec 1998 10:10:09
+0900

>>>Have you tried, as a less drastic solution than backing
>>>out of the FP, putting NI on the malfunctioning keys, i.e. "nn=NI..." so
>>>that it doesn't leak through to DOS?
>
>>I've just done that.
>
>And? Any improvement?

Robert, I've had the same difficulty that Stephen Carter has had with the
erratic
behavior of LeftAlt and RtCtrl in combination with other shift keys on Xy4
under OS/2.

Running Xy 4.017 with FixPak8 on a slow but adequate 486/33:

I dropped an NI into every nn= line in my KBD file--except for those in the
Alt table, which has the text macros, where for whatever reason the calls
to the macros sometimes get fouled up if the NIs are there.

Behavior of the erratic shift keys at times seemed to improve. But
sporadically.

Tried Rafe's suggestion and replaced the IBMKBD.SYS file, date 08-07-98,
with the one on the install CD, dated 08-12-96. Xy then acted strangely and
at times locked up. No go.

Well, it's small potatoes as you said a couple of months ago. But a
persistent annoyance for me, since I shift back and forth between XyWin and
Xy4. And with XyWin there's no prob. My fingers forget the arpeggio dodge
for a minute or two each time I go back to Xy4.

I suppose Xy code and OS/2 code are bumping into each other somewhere in
the lower reaches, and the only recourse may be to report this to IBM and
request a patch to fix.

For me, the nuisance is too small to make going through that drill worthwhile.

Many thanks for your suggestion, though! I do think dropping in the NIs
yields an improvement.

Regards,

Robert Hemenway
robhem@xxxxxxxx