Re: Xy and Eudora [also DDE and Netscape] (related issues of popmail and OLE)

Followup on responses from Harry Binswanger and Peter Knupfer

What I have done with DDE between XW and Netscape is to write XPL programs
which allow me to embed URL addresses in a xywrite document and use them as
automatic hypertext links. I place the cursor on part of the URL and
activate the XW program with a keystroke. The program then picks up the URL
name, passes it to netscape (via DDE) and then switches to the netscape
window when the page has been successfully loaded. It is still rough, but is
already enormously useful to me.

I am happy to share the XPL code and provide some documentation, however it
is undergoing active development now. I assume it is best to wait a week or
two until it is at a more mature stage. [If anyone wants the early code and
to try parallel development, I could do that too]. I will keep you informed.

Unfortunately, I have learned that Eudora does not support DDE but they may
eventually support OLE. Consequently I have two questionsL
 1) Does anyone know if XW supports OLE now or plans to?
 2) Does anyone know a good popmail client which supports DDE?

I have no good answers to questions of Peter Knupfer.

Stephen Shaw
sshaw@xxxxxxxx