Re: Re OT Search terms

Patricia, I lied, I noticed something on your reply that I missed earlier
and I am going to respond to it after all.
Bob: Carl gave me a good lead, but since you asked:
Ethernet connection in both cases over 10/100 base T Cat 5. Win 98 SE on
the laptop and my desktop, Win 98 and 95 OSR/2 on the office desktops. I
need to check at the office to see whether they're using static or
dynamic addressing; network isn't set up on my desktop yet. Does one have
a choice, or does the install wizard just assign the addressing protocol?
Static or dynamic addressing is set up by your sysadmin. The very clear preference these days is to use dynamic addressing for client machines and to use DHCP to assign IP addresses and the other necessary numbers to that class of machines. If your sysadmin gives you a bunch of numbers to enter, that is likely a place with static addressing. When you go through the wizard, you will choose. You will enter the IP address, default gateway, the subnet mask, and the DNS servers if your sysadmin assigns them, otherwise, you will choose to get those numbers automagically, et, voila, DHCP handles it.
Robert: thanks for all that, but the chief thing is I'm NOT interested in
Internet connectivity.
However, given that you are not interested in Internet connectivity, why run TCP/IP? I can think of reasons for doing that but I am guessing you will be running Windows workgroups, which is another set of protocols, to exchange information between the machines. In which case, static or dynamic is moot. I think. I still don't understand what you are joining.
Nobody here has broadband, and the office is using
(shudder) AOL. What I basically need is to be able to copy files too big
for floppies (the laptop's CD is too old to read CD-Rs) back and forth
from laptop to desktop, here and there. In a pinch I can hook the
parallel port Zip Drive up to the laptop, and both my desktop and one at
the office have built-in ZIPs. But a network connection would be simpler.
I set up two of the office desktops to be part of the existing network,
but I wasn't sure how to be part of two separate ones.
I don't understand where the two networks--why not have all machines on a hub or a switch--are but when you join two networks, you are usually talking switches these days. Fortunately, there are many kinds and cheap. Then the two networks are effectively segments of one bigger network. Or, better, each machine is on its own segment. Everyone talks to everyone--one big happy family.

That is the outline. There are some devils in some details.
 Will see if 98
supports User profiles; I think it does, though nowhere near as well as
NT/2K/XP. Thanks to the Ping lesson you gave me earlier, when we were
looking into mapping USB, I do have this PC's address. (By the by, I got
a ThinkPad: 760XL. The CD's a pathetic 4x and won't eject, but I swear
the machine boots faster than my nominally 10 times as fast desktop. Go
figure.)
Patricia

Bob Molyneux
drdata@xxxxxxxx