Re: Goodby Xy?

Well, it seems that there is quite a discussion brewing over
what TTG might be doing with XyWrite and I thought I would jump
in and add my thoughts to the frey.

Quite frankly (no pun intended) I don't think there is anything
brewing over XyWrite. I think that TTG perceives all of us as
"old baggage", whether or not we have bought XyWrite 4/XyWin or
still use XyWrite III+.

Some time ago, a several people commented they felt that TTG
only paid attention to the new customers and left the old
XyWriters out in the cold. Later, some others commented it
seemed that only the older clients were getting help and that
the newbies were left to the wolves. My personal experience
has been that of quiet annoyance on the part of TTG; later of
course, they were more than openly annoyed.

When Kenneth Frank annnounced the partial function list of the
new "Xy-to-be-renamed-later" product, the components listed
there comprised a canned documents system and, after all, that
is what his company creates, canned legal document systems.

Buying XyQuest simply provided TTG with a text edit engine (and
a damn fine one at that) to slap into their existing canned
document system. I don't think they intended really to bother
with continuing on with the old XyQuest customers and I am
almost lead to believe that XyWrite 4 was a stop-gap product to
raise a little capital for the real task at hand and to keep us
off TTG's back.

OS/2 versions, Linux versions, Java versions, Plain Vanilla DOS
versions,  versions
are all fine and dandy, but lawyers don't buy that stuff, aren't
interested in that stuff, don't care about that stuff. Most
lawyers that I know are only now looking at Windows 3.1 as an
"upgrade" and don't want to be bothered with "learning computer
programming". Many believe that if you have to type in a
"parameter", that's programming and " it just won't do".

So, if we want to go along with TTG's vision of what XyWrite
will become, fine. If we don't mind the MS Windows development
path, fine. Otherwise, go away. After all, XyWrite isn't
anymore. It is a Windows programme for lawyers and won't ever
be XyAnything again. For some of us, that means "Goodby Xy".

Now, having said all of that, I would like to state that some of
the features presented in Mr. Frank's list pique my interest and
I would certainly consider buying the next release if:
	a) I could be certain it ran well under WinOS/2.
	  (no whining you OS/2 haters)
	b) If it was much more stable than XyWrite 4.

However, I have my doubts that Mr. Frank is reluctant to have me
buy any more of his products.

Well that's all for now. By-the-way, these are just my musings
and there is no need for anyone to have a snit.

Carter Campbell
campbelc@xxxxxxxx
Calgary, Alberta
Canada