Re: Off topic: Need cheap new laptop, any suggestions?

ThinkPads are not budget items, but they're as good as ever;
designed by the people who used to design them in IBM days,
assembled in China by Taiwanese (Lenovo doesn't trust Chinese
workers!), great service, etc. Best, David ----- Original Message ----- From: J R FOX Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:32 pm Subject: Re: Off topic: Need cheap new laptop, any suggestions? > Just a few quick comments on the previous comments: > > I know someone who maintains that the only really good keyboards > are the ones on the ThinkPads / Lenovos. (But I don't think they > are in the budget category, and I don't know if their quality is > still comparable with what it was in the IBM days.) > > Flash wrote: > > everything else must be attached via a USB hub to the one > > on-board USB port, or reachable via wireless LAN. So make a > > quick inventory what external devices a new laptop must be > > able to communicate with, and check that any prospective new > > machine has the necessary port(s). > > Another factor (especially if you had only one USB connection) > is that some USB devices won't work through a hub. External > hard drives like the WD Passport of Seagate FreeAgent are > examples of this; although self-powered, they must still have > a direct connection. > > Bill Troop wrote: > > I have always also bought a 3-4 year onsite service warranty. > > That is de rigeur with any laptop, I think. Even with that, > > you're not out of the woods. > > This is something that always gave me pause about laptops. > They tend to be more fragile, more difficult and costly to > repair, and they may not last all that long. I have a desktop > system that has been in heavy service for 5 years now. (That's > not such a great achievement either, but this one has not yet run > into a significant "CPU deficit", in terms of becoming > underpowered for what it is normally called upon to do.) I have > the feeling that 5 years would be exceptional longevity for a > laptop, with most of them having serious issues long before then. > > > Jordan > >