xywrite and perhaps keyboard problem

I just started to run XyDos on my old Dell laptop program.  I can’t think of anything I’ve changed recently except for the addition of an external keyboard – which had been working and still works.  What is happening is that there seems to be something “running” constantly giving xy or dos a message, like a flicker barely noticeable, and the program is not responding to the keys directly – as if another function key or combination of keys have been pressed or are continuously pressed – and they are not – I’ve checked.  I’ve also rebooted the machine and same effect.

Any ideas what might be happening?

Mimi Gauthier LeBien