Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?

Robert Holmgren wrote:
Of course Editor would be downloaded! What good would these
things be if you're in Timbuktu? Or if your computer won't
boot? The WHOLE POINT is 100% self-contained!
I think perhaps we're confusing two different scenarios:
1. Your PC won't boot, you've got a deadline yesterday, and all your files are on that box. Then, yes, you are
> scrambling, heart in throat, to get your files off that
> busted hard disk, or fix bad files.
2. A setup you can put on a flash drive and carry with you in place of a laptop or PDA or smart phone. You can stick it in a friend or relative's PC or a library workstation or a PC at Kinko's and run all the apps you need. That's where I was thinking of Ghostscript etc., not in the BARTPE emergency-type situation.

I made one of these things today. Size is 2.7Mb, without a lot
of external files. But it installs, 100% hands-off, on a local
machine, off the Net (just right-click in IE, and "Open" rather
than "Save" the file -- and the next thing you see is *your
familiar customized version* of XyWrite in a window!). It is
very serviceable. I can run it on ANY Win32 machine. When I
Quit, it erases itself and all trace of its existence. Pretty
neat.
Yes, indeed. The advantage of that is that if, say, the library or
Kinko's won't let you put a flash drive in or run anything off it,
this would circumvent their security. (Let us all be profoundly glad
Robert is a Good Guy. One shudders to think what a Cracker, or Black
Hat Hacker, with his skills could do.)
I also have a prototype of a Portable Rescue/Recovery
installation *builder* which is highly personalized to each
user's habits. This is being finetuned. It is targeted at
BartPE. As for Patricia's requirement for Ghostscript printing,
she is going to have to add that herself.
Sounds great. And I wasn't thinking of Ghostscript printing in such a
case. That was for the portable setup. Though you might want to think
(if you haven't already, but you probably have) of including the
Generic/Text Windows printer driver. There are certain Windows
utilities that won't generate a report file or even display one on
screen, but will print to paper. If you have that printer driver set
up to print to a file, you can do an end run around BBBG and get the
contents of that report.
Portability simply requires
a different organizational structure, that's all. End result is
the same.
You mean there's a way to make Windows run applications that haven't been installed? Or possibly to temporarily install them?
And you don't need U3 to run apps off flash drives! There's a
Firefox plugin for BartPE that works perfectly. There's a Java
engine too. There's a ton of stuff.
Now I'm getting confused. I thought BartPE was for rescue in an
emergency (when, I can see, you might well need Firefox to get some
downloads). But I was talking about running Firefox in a non-emergency
situation, when one just didn't have one's own full PC, just a drive,
to hand.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx