Re: XyWrite udner Linux [was:Partitioned drives, Win98 & otherOSes]

Wendell Cochran wrote:

> I doubt that's the way to go.
> Linux isn't from the top down but from the bottom up.

O.K.

> Yes. Again, think IBM. Who else might extract the code from the
> elusive Frank? And if you wonder about IBM's commitment to Linux, go to

. . .

> But who to approach in behalf of XyWrite I can't tell you. It does seem
> that someone in Armonk might be receptive to this line: `Back in '94 IBM
> thought XyWrite a great program. Sure, you bailed out, but only because
> upper management shut down the entire Desktop Software group.
>
> `Now that IBM's again interested in desktop software . . . .'

An appealing notion, but we all remember IBM as the elephant that rolled
over in its sleep and crushed Signature. Their record with OS/2 has been
pretty spotty at best. (Some would say "Cut & Run," but that's not entirely
fair.) They have been a huge conglomeration of different divisions pulling
haphazardly in various -- sometimes contrary -- directions. There is reason
to question the quality of their long-term (which in computing isn't all
that long) or strategic thinking.

Jordan