From: Kari Eveli
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2015 4:12 AM
Subject: Re: 7 vs 8.1

Bill,

>For example, I have a modern Dell laptop running Win 7 which is dedicated only to my my work with Fontlab and to music playing. For music I use either Foobar 2000 or a browser, usually chrome, for youtube. At the moment, I have found that there is a video of Artur Rubenstein 78 reissues which invariably takes over the system after about an hour. No other program will be available, no keystroke will work including ctr-alt-del. The video will play on and on but the rest of the computer is not functioning. The only way to stop it is to cut the power.

This is where one needs a virtual machine, just tick the X and the virtual machine is killed.

>I think we can safely say that this is a perfect example of Flash causing an OS crash. Instances of Flash crashing Win 7 seem common; but they don't seem to happen in Win 8.1. My impression is that they really did do a lot of work to minimize or eliminate problems of this kind.

This may be true. And by all means, I am not against Win 8.1. It can be better, but I am an old hack and I am unwilling to learn new tricks.

>Browsers are the problem !! And Chrome is probably the most stable, but that isn't good enough.

Have a look at:
https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php?key5sk0=2005&key5sk1=6f75493afd276942da9d8ae0509aca838cba9d02

Best regards,

Kari Eveli