Re: Document conversion

I don't see what is wrong with the conversion filters that come
with XY4. I have used most of the popular word processors. The
XYDOS conversion works unproblematically for me, and is the only
one known to me that will keep footnotes and automatically
deposit them at the end of the file with links to the
superscripts. The XYWin filters tend to give protection failures
when I try to use them, but there are workarounds that, I
believe, are explained on the XYWWW web site. In any case, I
routinely depend on XY's conversion filters rather than those of
the other program.

When I want to store XY files in a form that many other
applications can read, I choose either HTML or RTF. The latter
preserves almost all of the more elaborate formatting, but the
former can be read by almost anything, particularly web browsers.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science