Re: "unrecognized command"

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Mon, 21 Dec 1998 11:11:23 EST

> i get the following [KBD file] error message:

> Customization file contains an unrecognized command. ;

> does this mean that ; is an unrecognized command?

It means that you screwed something up, and you need to retrieve your backup of the
KBD file, and use func FD FindDifference to locate the problem -- probably a rigue
character that crept in somewhere. These little errors in the KBD file can be a
real bear to find, too. Maybe you commented out a necessary line with the ";"
character? E.g. if you refer to a Key Name (like ALLT) in one of the TABLEs, and
there's no corresponding Key DEFINITION, it will bomb. Lucky you made that backup!

Secondly, if you're getting the msg "Customization file contains an unrecognized
command", then your KBD file isn't being loaded, period. It's faulty, EDITOR
doesn't understand it, and it's telling you so. What's happening
is that the default keyboard that's built-in to EDITOR is being loaded in its
place. If that "works reseasonably well nonetheless", maybe you don't need a KBD
file at all? Or maybe you're just anticipating the reappearance of warm
weather?

Thirdly, the discussion of renaming keys applied, in my mind, to OS/2 only, and
may not do a thing on other platforms, although I seem to remember that it had
some benefit in MS-DOS. It has no effect (that I've ever discerned) in Windows
3.x, for example. What sorts of "interferences" are you experiencing in Linux?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx