Re: Win95, Orbis

On Mon, 25 Sep 1995, Dorothy Day wrote:
> > Actually, the best existing similar product is XyIndex, a
> rather costly route, but extremely powerful. You might also
look into
> FolioViews or just the old Microlytics Gofer, if you can find a copy.
> Also, Magellan, the Lotus orphan, will allow you to search
great gobs > of files, view them in many different formats,
"gather" text that looks
> promising, and save or append it to a file. Should be cheap if you can
> find a copy.
> I tried to reply to Dan on this , but for some reason tin wouldn't accept the address.

I use Magellan with XyWrite every day. It's pretty good, but the
lack of new viewers is a downside. And it's risky to use it with
OS2 or Win95.

I bought Wordperfect (pardon my language) 6.1/Windows because of the
QuickFinder module: very fast, excellent search options. It can
be run freestanding, without loading WP, which is what I'm
playing with these days. The only downside: you can only copy to
the clipboard from retrieved files, not to files.

ZyIndex, as I remembere is a VERY spendy option.

Magellan does work fine, if you're just hunting down XyWrite files.
But it stores them in plain ascii, and you have to convert them
back if you "gather" from retrieved files.