Pseudo-Kerning

The PI (Printer Insert) code for adjusting space between any two characters

is (from the command line) Escape (Shift+Esc to get the character)&a-nnH

Where nn is 10 times the point size you want to adjust. You can also use a +
instead of the minus to do positive spacing.

{Esc}&a-10H subtracts 1 point from between two letters. {Esc}&a+20H adds 2
points between letters.

I did autmatic "kerning" by taking vann. The less-than sign, not the "chevron".) By plugging in the current point size
into nn, I get a 10% reduction in space between letters regardless of point
size.

(I used usually the same as compressed effects using the second figure, the kerning reflects that.)

This coding works only for HP-compatible printers with PCL. Obviously, the
results don't show up on-screen even in graphic view. Caveat: this
work-around will mess up justification because you're bypassing the width
tables.

Have fun experimenting!

Tim Baehr