The Page on Google; Search.html

Robert:

Just for the hell of it, I plugged "xywrite" into the Google web
server to see where The Page comes up in the listing. It's third,
after two links to Diane Fisher's site. The next listing is an
article on XyWrite in Wikipedia, which may have been written or
edited by Fisher. In any case, it includes a link to her site,
which itself links to the Wiki article. That's a lot of Annie
Google's pushing.

How, I wonder -- if at all -- can we arrange it so that Google lists
us first, so that hitting the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button on a
"xywrite" search leads directly to our page? Would it work to add
"xywrite" case variants to the META "keywords" tag. E.g.,

And, perhaps, to make "keywords" the first META tag (i.e., closer to
the top of the page)?

I'd also like to get a link to The Page into Wikipedia. We could
suggest adding, after the sentence "Perhaps its greatest virtue was
that its file format consisted of plain ASCII, which made it a
favourite among typesetters who needed to convert various formats to
LaTeX", something like: "It is also valued for its customizability
and programming language." Then, add a link to The Page at the
bottom of the article. What do you think?

Google also led me to http://home.eol.ca/~pollard/. Have you ever
heard of this guy, G.W. Pollard (pollard@xxxxxxxx)? He's not a list
subscriber, and I don't recall ever seeing his name. He claims to
know XPL; I wonder how skilled he is.

On Search.html: If we add a "Search Tips" link to the bottom half of
the page (as per my message yesterday), we should probably also put
a link in the Tips section that jumps back up to the top of the
page.

Ciao.

C.

--