Re: OT: Swapping hard drives

Back in 2001, Harry Binswager and Otis Port were talking about using a system in which they put hard drives into carriers, put an adapter in an external bay, and swapped hard drives in and out of the bay to use different configurations, operating systems, etc. I've decided that's the way to go. What do you call those carriers, and where do you get them?
Before I answer, I've moved on to a better implementation of the same idea: external drives that communicate via USB, Firewire, or both. The advantage over the shuttled-in, IDE drive is that you don't have to reboot with USB / Firewire. That said, the IDE shuttle system should cost about $35, and I think Jordan is right, that they are called "mobile racks" (but I've also heard "shuttles" and "carriers.") E.g., http://www.pcgate.geomerx.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category&categoryID=95 I bought mine from a little computer shop in mid-Manhattan (Worldline at 37th, north side of street, between Mad. and 5th). Since you live in Manhattan, I'd recommend Worldline (aka WL)--they are helpful, and they have good prices on the cheaper things, like cables. If you want USB/Firewire, the thing is called a drive enclosure. A Canadian one that I tried wouldn't install. The one that did install, and that I now use, has absolutely no name on it, nor in its accompanying little "manuals" (one for USB one for FW). But for the enclosure (sans drive) you should pay about $70. If you only have USB 1, as I do, then you'll either want to upgrade to USB 2 (tried that, couldn't get it to work) or get a FireWire card (works for me). Of course, for just backup, even USB 1 is probably fast enough.
I think it was Harry who recommended Computergate http://www.computergate.com for the carriers and DriveGuys http://www.driveguys.com for hard drives.
Nope, it wasn't me. Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx