Re: Running xy 3+ under windows xp - aarrgghhh!

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> (I was using--laugh if you like--the Leading Edge Word Processor [it came
> with my first
> system]) but converting was a hassle,

Not laughing at all. Me too. Xy is the 2nd. and last word-proc. I learned /
used. LE was kind
of a simplified, work-alike imitator of some other program (whose name
escapes me for the
moment) that was then quite popular in offices, where temps or minimally
computer capable
secretaries could use it. It gained some noticeable market share by virtue
of being bundled with
the LE computers. The format of its files amounted to a self-contained
world, because their
scheme used Hex 1A early and often, with the result that straight DOS could
not open them.
There was also a lot of wasted space inside, and illogically ordered
formatting garbage that, later
on, reminded me of the file scheme used by several versions of MS WURGH. The
LE-created
files were easily corrupted, and if that happened you were just plain
screwed.

O.K., while we're at it, did anyone reading this use Einstein Writer ?
Spellbinder ? Electric
Pencil ? Or what was that one that Jerry Pournelle used to rave about, well
before WORD ?

Come on Robert, Carl. What did you use prior to Xy ? Inquiring minds want
to know.

Jordan