Re: XPL detective

** Reply to message from "Morris Krok"  on Wed, 21 Jan
2004 14:10:11 +0200

> Can anyone advise me how to download Stack.doc and Ctrlchars

Come on, Morris -- you've been participating here for this long, and you can't
guess the answer to that question -- you need someone to take the time to write
to you personally? Go to XyWWWeb; search (Ctrl-F) for "Stack" and "Ctrlchar".
When you find them, click on them. Make sure your power is switched on.

> As Xpl and XyWrite is over 20 years in development to reach its present state,

It was developed for 13 years.

> it is replete with so many subtle aids in the form of Df values and Va
> settings

DeFaults and VAriables are the same thing.

> that one has to be a Xpl detective to know which one to use.

Command "TABLE VARIABLES" (or "TABLE VAR") to see a complete
list that describes their meanings and values. Read your Customization Guide.

> But when I wanted to close all the windows automatically, I had to
> use Va$Ws in the encoded program below. Va$Wa did not work.

When all your windows are in use, WA WindowsAvailable isn't going to give you
any meaningful information, because no window is available. (Why in the world
do you want to populate all your available windows? You should always leave at
least one window unopened -- programs often need an available window, even you
might need one.)

> I am sure there must be a reason why Va$Wa cannot be
> used for both opening and closing wndows.

Your surmise is correct: there is a reason. Look, you don't need _any_
VAriables to close all windows. In the simplest possible form, just issue
"AB/NV" repeatedly until you get an error:

BX ab/nvQ2 )>

This assumes that NW=1 or 3. You could always stick "BX rsQ2 " in the code
above, after the AB/NV procedure, to make sure the window is closed.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx