Application error?

I've encountered a new (to me) problem with XyWin: when I've been working
for a while on writing an XPL routine (not particularly long or subtle), I
may find that certain keyboard-based commands produce an error message
"Application Error", though the same commands issued from the command line
work OK -- examples are
    CTL+F4 doesn't work; but F5, ab, F9 does
    CTL+S doesn't work; but F5, sa, F9 does

I'm running XyWin under Win 3.1 on a 486 65mHz box; I have 16 meg of RAM
(with 386MAX).

Can any of our gurus (guroi?) help?

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel