Re: Upgrading Windows 2000

Philip wrote:

>However, almost a year ago I bought two new Lenovo computers, one desktop and one laptop. On each I have Windows 7 and Windows XP. On the desktop I have a Windows Virtual Machine, on the Laptop VM Lite.

>I have been very happy with both. XyWin started first time on both machines, and it has crashed much less often than before.

>Maybe that is the way to go in the present computing world.

I am an advocate for virtualization, and, indeed, it solves a lot of issues, but running Xy under XP
is quite feasible, and maybe the recommended solution now for those who do not want to set up a
virtual machine. But, most certainly, there is a virtual machine in the computing future of all of
us if you want to run legacy apps! Once you have your virtual machine set up, it is quite easy to
port it to another version of your preferred operating system or to a different operating system. I
am not quite sure if DOS support is going to get so much better in future versions of virtualization
software, so it may be a good idea to port a legacy application to the virtual world right now.

I would still think that one who has been content with W2K up till now, would find XP a better
solution than newer versions. Once XP is set up, try virtualizing DOS and Win 3.1 apps under it,
that is, if you have the time and inclination to do so.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx