Re: VPT by Ralph Smith

19K of zip file flashed by when I clicked that URL -

I subscribe to Simtel* because I like to see what people are doing
with their computers.

Simtel.Net
archivists to announce new uploads to the MS-DOS, Windows 3.x, and
Windows 95 collections. All files are available from FTP.Simtel.Net
and its mirrors, and from http://www.simtel.net/simtel.net/ on the web.
If you have questions or comments about these files please contact the
uploader.

Simtel.Net information files (including a list of mirror sites), recent
back issues of the digest, and programs to break the digest into
individual messages are available. To receive a list, send mail to
listserv@xxxxxxxx with this command in the body of the message: info

Administrative mail may be sent to ms-news-request@xxxxxxxx but
please
use listserv@xxxxxxxx to add or delete yourself from the list. If
you
wish to unsubscribe, send e-mail (from the same address where you were
when you subscribed) with this command in the body of the message:
unsubscribe ms-news

(for those interested). The only one I've come to enjoy recently is a
version
of the old Norton commander for windows 95 systems - information follows

winnc32a.zip - WinNc 1.3 32-Bit Shell

WinNc32 is a 32-bits File Manager for windows 95 (and NT).
It has 2 panels where you can copy, move, edit files to and from.
You can also connect to network resources. It can compress from and
to files. Compression standards are included like Zip, Winzip, Arj, Lha,
Mscompress, Zoo, Pak and Rar.

WinNc can be fully uninstalled with Windows 95's ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS

This application is freeware and may be freely distributated.

In case of questions or problems you can contact us:

By E-mail:
www.winnc@xxxxxxxx

or by mail:

C.J.P. Hamers       R.C.J. Speets
Relweg 57         Dorpsduinen 29
1949 EC Wijk aan Zee   1949 EG Wijk aan Zee
Holland          Holland

It's a little buggy sometimes and can slow up on directories with a lot
of files,
but it's nice to have a familiar program in an otherwise alien
environment.

- Last: - it seems to me that shareware is changing for the worse - big
files
that take a real investment to download - not enough information to
decide
whether to install the program once you've downloaded it - installation
of files
and dlls all over the place - unwanted file associations and registry
edits, and
schemes that make the software difficult to use unless you decide to
fork over
the dough. - So when 19k of someones' creativity zips across the phone
line, I
remember the good old days (when vernon wasn't a millionaire eh?)