Re: Off-Topic -- Apparently intractable problem with MSWord

BrennerNY@xxxxxxx wrote:

>   The only remaining recourse I'm aware of is to remove and reinstall the
> operating system, which is Windows 98. I haven't yet tried that and naturally
> I'd rather avoid it if possible.

I doubt that's your problem.

>   Has any of you heard of anything like this before?

No, but my experience with Word is rather limited. MS bloatware works in
mysterious ways. Beware of complex, proprietary file formats (which they keep
changing, in any case). How much RAM do you have ? That is apt to be the most
relevant "resource."

One thing I have seen is the phenomenon of being locked out of a corrupted Word
file. (Don't think I've **ever** seen anything like that in a Xy - generated
file.) In that situation, the error message is a bit different. There are
probably some Word utilities in circulation for dealing with such files. What I
had to do for those was to go in with a File Manager that can VIEW inside *any*
file and extract the plain text. All formatting is lost, and much cleanup may be
in order, but at least the most essential content is rescued.

Hope someone else has some better ideas.

Jordan